Saturday, November 20, 2010

Technology matters!

It has been quite a week at the Kokomo Schlie household! 

Jim's desktop computer died on Monday.  He has been bringing his work laptop computer home each evening to work on things at home. 

Barb's car went to the shop on Thursday.  It used to have a great heater, but alas, not any more.  That was O.K. last week when it was 60 degrees again.  It was a different story this week with lows in the 30s on the drive to the gym in the mornings. 

The final straw was Friday when Barb's desktop computer hard drive crashed. Yes, I got the dreaded blue screen of death!  I had spent most of the day at the Kokomo Rescue Mission helping to process Christmas box applications.  You would think that after spending the day helping people you would be immune to something bad happening to you.  But, no, it does not work that way.  Providentially for us we have an excellent IT manager right on sight!!  I had been planning to purchase a new laptop computer & give my desktop computer to Jim.  My IT manager reviewed computer specs with me & I placed an order for a laptop that very night (Friday night).  Delivery time is estimated to be 3-6 days.  Perhaps I will get it before Thanksgiving!  Our talented IT manager retrieved my hard drive & connected it to another computer so that I could save information from it to my external hard drive.  It had been a couple of months since I had backed up my computer files, so let this be a lesson to all of you reading this.  Back up your computer hard dirve frequently!  You never know when YOU too might get the dreaded blue screen of death.  My IT manager was kind enough to loan me his laptop computer so that I could get some work done.  It is amazing how dependent we are on technology!

Maybe I will just go for a walk in the fog!!  (It is foggy today!)

1 comment:

  1. What a week you all had. I think we will need your IT manager up there to help us with ours up there. Hope your next week is better.
    MOM

    ReplyDelete